Saturday, July 23, 2011

YellowKidSlanty























My next stop in the city was in slightly cramped quarters, let’s call it a design dungeon, of an infamous character who goes by the name of Yellow Kid Slanty. More commonly known as Kevin Saer Leong. Perhaps more commonly known as the man who helped Russel Simmons make Phat Farm, and whatever other spin-off brands they have cooking over there amongst the Russel Clan, into massive, globe spanning, multi-million dollar empires.I was invited to meet Kevin at the request of old friend and endless agitator of the streets, Great Scott. Let’s take a second to think about this for a moment. Leong basically designed an entire generation of urban wear at the behest of Russel Simmons. Baggy jeans, dramatic polos, all denim everything, and massive logos. The good, the bad, and looking back, some ugly. But realize that he basically defined a look that dominated urban culture, and in many rights still dominates to this day. That’s a resume and a half folks. Respect earned, and given gladly. But that’s the past. Yellow Kid SlantyOrigami, and Kevin’s stockpiled office of graffiti covered foolery is the future.














































I have a fascination with other people’s work space. And while Kevin’s isn’t exactly what I’d consider my own personal preference, I can related completely to the state of things in his office. Still wrapped copies of Adobe Illustrator atop endless stacks of vectored designs that extend years into the future. Personal stores of fabric, shipments, and product stocked away next to a mountainous collection of inspiration and literature. When you see this much clutter. It usually means someone is a whole lot of something done. In my case, it just means I’m getting my room dirty. For most other beings, most likely Kevin included, it means work is being finished and there’s no time for neat desks or welcome mats for visitors.

















Dig Deeper for the full article







Great Scott, still to this day one of the most loyal people I’ve ever met in my travels, observes from the couch.
Kevin has some interesting ideas. Behind the ridiculous and intentionally racially charged name (Yellow Kid Slanty), there are some very serious and well thought out concepts and ideas. Suffice to say, I was impressed. Kevin is taking a unique approach to his latest endeavor, creating a character rather than relying on the strength of his own well established name, not to mention pushing fashion forward with some materials that I’ve simply never seen anywhere else. Not on clothing anyway. I’m sure it will all come to surface sooner than later, perhaps even around these parts. Until then, keep on keeping on. Kevin and Scott, thanks for having me out. Apologies on the delay in communication!




















By the way, we’re all on Spring break over here at The Club. I guess that means we should have a plethora of content, since we have all of this free time right? Absolutely not. Duck hunting. Afternoon naps. Chinese takeout lunches. That’s the method. We’ve got the goods coming, but for now we’re on break. We’re
gearing up for something special. Part 2. Of everything. Remember where you heard it.
===========
I recently got in contact with Mr.Leong and will be working with him soon! Appreciate the opportunity, and this article by the MadburyClub does more justice than what I would've written. Great article guys.
Article Via: NBRHD.com
Follow Mr.Leong @YellowKidSlanty

No comments:

Post a Comment